Awareness Through Movement® (ATM) is a mind body learning method that is physically therapeutic and calming for the nervous system. Lying quietly on a mat, you will follow a series of verbally guided* instructions to perform a series of simple movements. At the same time, you will be instructed to pay attention to how these movements resonate throughout your body. The process, which might be described as a movement-based approach to mindfulness, evokes a state of interconnected awareness between the mind and body. With continued practice, ATM can be an effective approach for improving body use. Although considered an educational process, as opposed to a medical intervention, many who study regularly report the following kinds of results:
- Improvement in functional abilities, such as balancing, walking, turning and reaching—helpful to all clients, but especially those who experience limited function due to injury, or advanced age.
- Reduction in chronic pain resulting from maladaptive movement habits or past injury.
- Increased ability to sense and perceive the body in action, which is important for everyone, but especially beneficial to performing artists and elite athletes wishing to enhance performance.
WHAT TO EXPECT
ATM lesson are quiet and internally focused. The movement quality is gentle and should not cause you any discomfort. That being said, if you have an existing injury or pain issue, it can sometimes require a little extra patience to learn how to negotiate the experience in a comfortable way. In certain cases you may need to modify a position or movement in order to participate comfortably. It is advisable to speak with your doctor if you have any concerns about your ability to participate safely. You might also consider seeking out private study, if you feel that your needs will require more individualized attention.
This is a 4-week one-month program. You have the option of registering for three or four classes in this series. To help facilitate a quiet and private learning experience for all participants, this conference will use an audio format. You will not be visible to anyone else in the workshop, nor will they be visible to you.**
Andrea Higgins; Director of Kinesthetic Edge
You have two tuition selections. Both options are eligible for our Special Offer of: Two for the Price of One
- All 4 classes: $100
- 3 of 4 classes: $75
Special offer details:
- You may invite a family member or friend to participate in this class with you from your private residence (2 for the price of 1). They must attend from your location. (In other words, they cannot register as your guest but call in from their own home.) If more than two people will be joining you, the third must register, but they too can invite a guest. The offer is limited to 4 people attending from a single residence.
- Tuition is due in advance.
- Registration closes 24 hours before the program begins or when the class fills.
- Please be aware that all sales are final once registration closes 24 hours in advance of the first class. There will be no refund for missed classes. Tuition is not transferable to another person.
Zoom is the web conferencing platform we will use to connect with each other. Zoom offers high quality connections across the Windows, Mac, IOS, and Android platforms.
Before registering, please check that your computer or device meets Zoom's system requirements by visiting this link: (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-for-PC-and-Mac).
You will first need to register for a free Zoom Account at https://zoom.us , after which you will be prompted to download the free Zoom App, and you must do this if you wish to participate. There are desktop, Apple App Store, and Android Google Play versions.
If you are considering this program but are concerned about the technology, we invite you to email us and request a tech check meet and greet. We will spend a few minutes chatting using the Zoom application to make sure that the sound quality is comfortable for you.
*We welcome you from where ever you are, but be advised that the conference will be conducted in English.
**When you create your Zoom account, you will have the option of adding a profile photograph. The photo and your name will be visible to attendees, but live video footage of your participation will not.